Type 1 Vs Type 2 Diabetes


Google Image
What is the difference between Type 1 and Type 2?

Type 1 diabetes, in the past, was commonly referred to as juvenile onset. Those effected were commonly children and the reason for diagnosis are typically unexplained. Normal care for Type 1 is diet and exercise and always includes the use of Insulin, normally by injection through an insulin pump or syringes. There is no cure for individuals with the affliction.

Type 2 diabetes was commonly referred to as adult onset diabetes and often effects older adults who typically follow poor eating habits and do not exercise throughout their lives. Often this type is hereditary. Type 2, in many cases, can be cured with a lifestyle change which brings about better eating habits and regular exercise. Normal care for Type 2, like Type 1, also includes diet and exercise, but may include insulin injections or pills.

When I was a child I remember learning a comparison that I never forgot. I can't remember where I learned it, but it was likely in one of the many handouts I received from my doctor or some diabetic group I was involved in, so I can't take the credit for it. The idea is: Type 1 diabetes occurs when the pancreas either does not create insulin cells or creates cells which are dead. Thereby the body has no insulin at it's disposal. Type 2 diabetes occurs when the pancreas creates insulin cells which are tired or old (I often picture the cells with little wooden walking sticks trying to get around the body). The cells are only able to do so much in a Type 2 diabetic because the individual has worn out it's body's ability to care for itself. Although not always, often the individual has followed a poor lifestyle for so long the body can no longer care for itself.

All that being said, the trend for disease is becoming much worse, and more aggressive among those affected by diabetes.

The British Journal of Diabetes drafted an article explaining the decreased age of onset for Type 2 diabetes, a previously categorized adult disease. This statement provides a poor outlook for our populous in general, but with small steps such as adding 30 minutes of exercise per day for both children and adults, and eating better, we can all make a big difference. I challenge each of us to make one change a week, I think you will be happy with the outcome!

0 comments:

Post a Comment